About the County Assembly
Article 95 of the Constitution establishes that the County Assembly shall consist of the following:- Members of CountyAssembly, each elected by the registered voters of single member ward, each county constituting a single member constituency; Nominated members by political parties according to their proportion of members of the Assembly in accordance with Article 90, to represent special interests including the youth, persons with disabilities and workers; and the Speaker, who is an ex officio member.
The Vision and Mission Statements
A Potent and Vibrant Legislative County Assembly deepening democracy.
To Legislate, Represent and do Oversight for the people of West Pokot County to promote cooperate governance through service delivery and accountability.
Article 185 of Constitution of Kenya 2010.
Legislative Authority of County Assemblies
(1) The legislative authority of a county is vested in, and exercised by, its county assembly.
(2) A county assembly may make any laws that are necessary for, or incidental to, the effective performance of the functions and exercise of the powers of the county government under the Fourth Schedule.
(3) A county assembly, while respecting the principle of the separation of powers, may exercise oversight over the county executive committee and any other county executive organs.
(4) A county assembly may receive and approve plans and policies for–
(a) the management and exploitation of the county’s resources; and
(b) the development and management of its infrastructure and institutions.
- Transparency and accountability
- Respect for Rule of Law
- Public Participation
- Protection of the marginalized